After a long wait, the wait of IPL 2020 is finally over, the cash-rich T20 league is just about to start on September 19. Probably, 60 matches including 10 doubleheaders will be played for 53 days. Due to ongoing Pandemic, IPL 2020 season is shifted to the United Arab Emirates because BCCI does not want any compromise on players’ safety.
A BCCI official stated, “We have decided to go up till November 10 and so the final will be held on a weekday for the first time.” “Also, to ensure that there are enough gaps between games considering the travelling and the biosecure environment and keeping all these things in mind, we will have 10 doubleheaders this season.” he added.
Vivo IPL 2020 matches will be played in Dubai, Sharjah, and Abu Dhabi after getting the mandatory clearances from the Government of India. All IPL Franchises are looking for clear guidelines and SOPs for the IPL 2020.
In order to conduct the Indian Premier League 2020 safely, players will sign the consent forms acknowledging the risk of COVID-19 infection. BCCI has prepared a 240 Page Standard Operating Procedure for IPL 2020 in UAE. This 240 page long SOPs will clear everything the franchises and players will need to follow during IPL 13.
IPL 2020 SOPs Key Points
- Sources told the SOPs to contain diagrams and illustrations to show players where they will need to stand during the opening ceremony and what will be the distance between them and how the presentation will be done after finishing every match.
- SOP contains every single detail about players’ safety like how to gather them in hotels in India after coming back from IPL. Presentation ceremony details are explained with diagrams so it won’t be hard to understand for the franchises.
- Before entering the BioSecure Environment, every player will have to pass four COVID-19 tests in India before flying to UAE and two before entering the BioSecure Bubble. Neither they can meet any outsider nor they can move outside. Every IPL team will create their own Bubble so they will interact with a limited number of people. Also, a Bubble will be created for BCCI and IMG staff.
- Every IPL player who is going to UAE to attend IPL 2020 will have to install the DXB app on their phone which is UAE’s equivalent of India’s Aarogya Setu app. Social Distancing will also be followed on and off the field.
- All IPL Franchises will manage their own travel and accommodation arrangements in UAE. Indian Cricket Board will negotiate with UAE authorities to ensure discounted hotel rates and tell the franchises, now it is up to the franchises whether they choose those hotels or make their own arrangements.
- In dressing rooms, a maximum of 15 players to be permitted inside.
What is Bio Secure Bubble or Bio Secure Environment for IPL 2020?
BioSecure Bubble or BioSecure Environment in cricket is introduced to prevent the spread of CoronaVirus aka COVID-19. The purpose of the Bio Bubble is to keep teams relatively isolated from the outside world so as to greatly minimize the risk of COVID-19 infection.
IPL 2020 SOPs list is mostly based on the ones prepared by England & Wales Cricket Boards for West indies and England Test Series.